Why CET Florence?
CET Florence students are motivated learners looking for engaging summer abroad on their terms. And in a city with plenty of study abroad options to choose from, CET Florence is one of the smallest programs you’ll find. That means more individual attention for you. Have a question about your apartment? Want to volunteer? Need help finding a doctor? Staff go the extra mile for students. You’ll have everything you need for an exceptional summer.
Curriculum & Syllabi
Choose between three different curriculum options to tailor your summer and meet a total 6 recommended credits.
Choose one or two electives depending on your curriculum preference:
- FL/ARTH 250 Passion, Power and Pestilence: Art in Italy 1500-1650
- FL/ARTH 258 Renaissance Art and Architecture
- FL/ARTH 262 Medieval Art and Architecture
- FL/ARTS 266 Florence Sketchbook
- FL/BUSN 387 Leadership Development
- FL/ECON 2260 International Economics
- FL/ECON 323 The European Banking System
- FL/ECON 324 The European Political Economy
- FL/FINA 320 Corporate Finance
- FL/GLBS 280 Intercultural Communication: Cross-Cultural Encounters in Florence, Italy, and Beyond
- FL/HIST 372 Money & Banking: A Historical Perspective
- FL/ITLS 245 Food and Culture in Italy
- FL/ITLS 273 History of Modern Italy
- FL/ITLS 274 The Medici: History and Legend of an Italian Dynasty
- FL/ITLS 330 Italian Cinema
- FL/ITLS 347 Wine Studies: History and Culture of Italian Wine
- FL/MKTG 325 International Marketing
- FL/MGMT 321 International Management
- FL/POLI 375 Italian and European Politics
- FL/POLI 377 International Energy Policy: Oil, Gas, & Green Technologies
- FL/PSYC 385 Cross-Cultural Psychology: Intercultural Frameworks for Developing Global Citizenship
If you choose to take Italian, you are placed into one of these 3-credit courses according to a placement test or previous coursework you have completed. If you have opted for two semesters of Italian, you will also take the subsequent course level.
You take one elective to meet the total of 3 recommended credits.
Electives That Suit You
Make the Most of Summer
Florence is known for easy living, but that doesn’t mean easy A’s. In fact, CET Florence is known for offering academics as rigorous as what you’re used to in the US. Your courses will challenge you. Your professors will push you during in-class discussions. Your assignments will ask you to think critically. You’ll leave Florence with so much more than pictures and souvenirs…you’ll leave with new knowledge and a global perspective that will serve you for a lifetime.
Housing & Meals
Living in the historical city center, apartments might be different from what you’re used to in the US—buildings are simple, older, and vary in shape and layout. But the location can’t be beat… everything you need is within walking distance and your commute to class is beautiful. You can also opt to live in a homestay and live like a true Florentine. You’ll be in the downtown area, but away from the tourist-heavy centro storico. You’ll have your own bedroom and share common spaces (and best of all, mealtimes) with your family.
Home Away From Home
Eating in Florence
Have your fill of some of the most famous cuisine in the world. You’ll love the pastas, the sauces, the hors-d’oeuvres. On a budget? Try ribollita soup, made with bread, kale, cannellini beans, and vegetables. Feeling adventurous? Grab a tripe sandwich topped with salsa verde from a street vendor…a Florentine classic. And don’t forget the gelato after dinner.
Life in Florence
There’s so much to see and do in Florence, from climbing the Duomo to chatting with locals over a cappuccino. Pack up your favorite foods for a picnic in the Tuscan countryside. Sketch your favorite sculpture. Enjoy an aperitivo with local Italians. And when Friday comes, explore the rest of Europe from your Florentine home base. The only drawback to living in Florence is that every other place you live will pale in comparison.
Activities & Excursions
In and Around the City
Volunteering in Florence
Director of Italy Programs
Summer 2021: $7,990
Maymester 2021: $4,390
Of the total program fee, $5,890 goes to tuition and fees, and $2,100 goes to housing and other student life fees.
Of the total program fee, $3,290 goes to tuition and fees, and $1,100 goes to housing and other student life fees.
All of your classes and program-related learning are included with your tuition.
We arrange for you to live in an apartment, right in the historic city center. Your program fees go toward rent, furnishing, and other management costs.
If you opt for a homestay, there is an additional fee to help cover the costs of an extra member in the household. This fee includes daily breakfasts and dinners at your home.
From pre-departure to orientation, from on site to re-entry, CET provides you with the support you need every step of the way.
You’re provided with a comprehensive insurance plan through GeoBlue that includes medical evacuation coverage.
The activities and excursions that we arrange are included in your program fee. All you need to do is get on the bus.
Your textbooks and course supplies are covered and waiting for you on site.
You’ll receive a transcript at the end of the term. Depending on your home institution, you will either get a CET grade report or a School of Record transcript from the University of Minnesota.
- Must be 18 or older at the time of program participation.
- Open to students from any US college or university
- GPA: 3.0 or higher preferred, but admissions decisions are made on a case-by-case basis; lower GPAs still encouraged to apply
- Open to all levels of Italian language, from absolute beginner to advanced
Complete the application through your online CET account. This is a brief form that asks for basic information and has a few short answer questions about why you want to study abroad.
Use the link in your online account to send a recommendation request to one of your previous instructors.
This is an online form that your study abroad office completes to let us know you meet the requirements to study abroad. To send the electronic form request, simply enter the name and email address of your study abroad advisor in the designated fields of your online account.
Your online CET account has specific instructions for submitting an official transcript.
Summer & Maymester deadline:
Price Subject to Change:
CET reserves the right to increase quoted charges at any time without prior notification, based on increased instruction costs, exchange rate fluctuation or other cost increases beyond CET’s control.