- Application FAQs
- Parent FAQs
- Visa FAQs
- Internet FAQs
- Arrival, Departure and Travel FAQs
- Health & Safety FAQs
- Cell Phone FAQs
- Class Schedule FAQs
- Language Pledge FAQs
How do I start my application?
Click the “Apply Now” button on the page of the program you’ve selected. Further instructions and application deadlines are here.
Who can apply to a CET program?
CET programs are designed for undergraduates who maintain an overall GPA of at least 3.0. Students from any US college or university are welcome to apply.
Gap year students, graduate students and independent professionals should contact us. We may be able to accommodate you, depending on your program of choice.
My GPA is under 3.0. Can I still apply?
Yes, you are still encouraged to apply. CET evaluates applications holistically, and accepts students who demonstrate a commitment to both study abroad and the particular focus of the program. Students with lower GPAs are asked to address their academic performance during the application process.
What does the CET application include?
- Application form.
- Foreign language writing sample. Beginning-level students compose one paragraph in the target language. Upper-level students may compose a one-page essay or upload a composition recently completed for a language class. Students with no language background may skip this requirement.
- Transcript. You may upload a scanned PDF of your official transcript or request an e-transcript from your university. A hard copy version of the official transcript in a sealed, signed envelope is not necessary.
- One letter of recommendation. If you applying to a language intensive program, the letter should come from a language instructor. Language intensive programs are: Beijing-Intensive Chinese Language, Harbin, Kunming, Siena, Japan, Jordan–Intensive Arabic Language, Tunisia. If you are applying to any other program OR if you are an absolute beginner in the program’s target language, the letter of recommendation may come from a faculty member in any field.
- Application fee of $50. This fee is non-refundable, but it is applied to your tuition balance if you are accepted and choose to attend.
- Other items depending on the program. Additional requirements are minimal, and depend on the program you’ve selected. You may be asked to provide course selections, a visa application, a Home Institution Approval Form, and/or other program-specific elements.
When is my application due?
Which CET programs have language prerequisites?
|China||Harbin and all Middlebury||4 semesters college-level Chinese|
|China||Beijing January Term||3 semesters college-level Chinese|
|China||Kunming||2 semesters college-level Chinese|
|Japan||Osaka Summer Term||2 semesters college-level Japanese|
|Middle East||Jordan – Intensive Arabic Language||2 semesters college-level Arabic|
Can I submit an unofficial transcript for my application?
CET does not accept progress audits or grade reports uploaded by students. Instead, you may upload a scanned PDF of your official transcript or request an e-transcript from your university. A hard copy version of the official transcript in a sealed, signed envelope is not necessary.
I transferred to my current school from another university. Do I need to get transcripts from each college or university I attended?
Start with a transcript from your current college or university. At your previous school, did you take any courses that are relevant to the study abroad program you’ve selected? If yes, please submit any transcripts that reflect that coursework.
How many academic recommendations do I need?
One recommendation is required. If you applying to one of the following language intensive programs, the letter should come from a language instructor. If you are applying to a program other than one listed below OR if you are an absolute beginner in the program’s target language, the letter of recommendation may come from a faculty member in any field.
- Beijing – Intensive Chinese Language
- Jordan – Intensive Arabic Language
I graduated college several years ago. It will be hard to obtain an academic recommendation. What do I do?
If an academic recommendation is difficult to obtain, please contact CET. In the past, we have considered recommendations from an employer.
What do I submit for the foreign language writing sample?
The required length of the writing sample varies based on your language background.
- Students with no language background may skip this requirement.
- Students in their 1st year of language study are asked to compose one paragraph in the target language.
- Students in or beyond their 2nd year of language study are asked to compose a two paragraphs in the target language or upload a composition recently completed for a language class.
The application asks for a scan of my passport. I do not have a passport yet. Can I still apply?
Yes, you may still apply. Follow the application instructions and use the passport scan field to tell us that you do not have a passport. Then, please be sure to contact us and begin applying for a passport immediately.
Who should sign my Home Institution Approval Form?
Your study abroad advisor. You may also have to work with your academic advisor for course approval. If you are a graduate student, please check with your department for the proper procedure.
My on-line application includes a visa application. Why do I have to do this now, before I’ve even been accepted?
Some program locations have very lengthy visa application processes. If we waited to start this process until after accepting students, there wouldn’t be enough time to procure visas. So, we start the process now to make sure that accepted students who want to attend the program can.
Please rest assured that CET keeps visa information separate from application information, and responses to any visa-related questions in any part of your online account will not affect your admission into the program.
What does CET look for in applicants?
How do I know if my application is complete?
When each item in your on-line account has been checked off, your application is complete and will be reviewed by CET.
When will I know if I was accepted?
You will be emailed an admissions decision within two weeks of receipt of your completed application.
How do I apply for a CET scholarship?
If you are admitted to a CET program, you are eligible to apply for a CET scholarship. A scholarship application will be available in your online account.
I am married. Can CET accommodate my family on the program?
If you are planning on studying in China, unfortunately, we cannot make accommodations for families. If you are applying to a CET program in another location, please contact us. In some cases, it may be possible to accommodate spouses and/or family members. There may be additional fees, and you should expect to make most arrangements on your own, with guidance from CET.