The information we collect
CET collects two kinds of information from you when you visit this website and/or our online account management system.
First, we automatically collect information from you any time you visit a CET webpage. This information is non-personally identifiable and may include data about your hardware devices, IP address, browser type, use of our website, and referring third party websites.
Second, we collect the information that you provide when you 1) submit any form—either hardcopy or electronic, or 2) either send to us, or ask a third party such as a professor or university registrar to send to us, any pre-departure information we request. When completing our hardcopy forms or the electronic forms on our website or online account management system, you may disclose to us personal and contact information; identity information; financial information; information about your educational background, performance and goals; and other information necessary for participation in a CET program.
How we use the information we collect within CET
CET may use the information you provide to:
- Understand the way our website and online account management system are used, and the way our programs are selected.
- Improve our website, online account management system, internal operations and programs to better suit your needs and the needs of other students and partners.
- Assess your suitability for a CET program and/or scholarship award.
- Contact you with relevant information about CET programs, application and/or resources.
- Prepare CET staff for your participation in a CET program.
- Promote CET programs via appropriate channels, such as website, blog posts, printed media, visits to US campuses, etc.
The information we may share with others
We do not rent or sell our mailing list, and we do not share information with third parties for their direct marketing purposes.
We do not distribute information about you to third parties, with the following exceptions:
- We may provide information to our service providers, including but not limited to host and partner universities, tour providers and insurance providers, so that these third party organizations can perform the services we request of them.
- We may post some information about you, including but not limited to your name, your home institution or a photo/video/blog post/film that includes or references you, to our website or otherwise use it to promote CET programs in print, online or in person.
- We may provide information to US embassies overseas, foreign consulates and/or foreign law enforcement organizations in order to obtain visas or visa documentation and/or register students in the host city for safety purposes.
- We may provide your personal and contact information to our parent company, Academic Travel Abroad (ATA), for inclusion on email distribution lists that provide you and/or your parents information about ATA programs overseas. This email distribution list is opt out.
- We reserve the right to share information about our students and/or website users to any other third party when such disclosure is necessary to comply with the law.
Our use of website cookies
We use internal cookies for session maintenance when you provide information to the CET website or online account management system. A “cookie” is a small string of text that is sent to your computer hard drive or device that can collect data regarding your operating system, browser type, device type, mobile device ID, screen resolution, IP address and other technical information. Cookies, by themselves, do not personally identify users, although they do identify a user’s computer. Any information that is obtained through a cookie is information that you have voluntarily submitted through the site.
You may accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can typically modify browser settings to decline them. Declining cookies will result in being unable to fully utilize the interactive features of CET’s website and online account management system.
Our online account management system allows you to create a profile that includes personal and identity information. You may update or correct this information at any time to ensure its accuracy. You may update or correct any factual errors in your personal account by editing your profile on your own or by contacting us at the address at the bottom of the screen. To protect your privacy and security, we will also take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting access or making corrections.
Upon completing a CET program, you may receive communication from us regarding CET resources and opportunities. Some of these communications are “opt in,” wherein you are first asked to indicate your willingness to receive such communications from us. Some of these communications are “opt out,” wherein you are automatically contacted but provided specific instructions on how to remove yourself from future mailing lists. Once you have completed a CET program, you may also opt out of all CET communications by contacting us at the address at the bottom of the screen.
Occasionally, we share some student information with our parent company, Academic Travel Abroad, for use in email marketing campaigns. You may opt out of these campaigns by following the instructions provided at the bottom of the email.
Our website is not intended for use by children under the age of 13, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13.
Third parties and linked websites
How we abide by US law
How we keep data secure
We have in place physical, electronic and managerial procedures to protect the information we collect online. However, as effective as these measures are, no security system is impenetrable. We cannot guarantee the security of our database, nor can we guarantee that the information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted to us over the Internet.
How we may make changes to this policy